For those unfamiliar with the rules of chess we will be using, please read the following:
- Touch Move! If you touch a piece during your turn you must move it if you can do so legally. If you touch an opponent’s piece you must take it if you can do so legally.
- Touching a piece by accident (like knocking it over with an elbow) does not count as a touch. Remember to say “I adjust” before picking up the fallen piece
- If you are using a clock (Which sections may use a clock is still undetermined) the following rules apply:
You must hit the clock and move the piece with the same hand
If you need to use the bathroom you cannot pause the clock
- If you have a question or dispute, please raise your hand immediately and a judge will come over to help you at your table. If you wait until a few moves later a judge may not be able to make a ruling.
If you do not understand a judge’s ruling, please ask them to explain it to you.
- Of course, using a chess computer, cell phone, receiving advice from a coach or teammate, or discussing another player’s ongoing game in any capacity is strictly prohibited and may result in forfeit of game and/or expulsion from the event.